Vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup is a delicious 45-minute dinner recipe made with three different types of cheddar cheese and a silky smooth consistency.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Basically, I have three great loves in my life: wine, chocolate, and cheese. I keep hearing rumors that two out of the three are bad for me… but let’s be real for a minute, that won’t stop me from from enjoying any of them in moderation.
I’ve had this recipe hidden away in my drafts folder for quite some time, often overlooking it in favor of healthier, more impressive-looking recipes that are perhaps more on trend. Which is just silly because broccoli cheddar soup is a year-round staple in so many households and on restaurant menus. Often times, it’s the most straightforward, easy to execute recipes that end up making regular appearances on the dinner table for obvious reasons.
Since Easter is coming up in just a couple of weeks, I thought now was the perfect time to share this broc cheddar soup because it’s not only easily made ahead, it’s a perfect way to use up any leftover ham from Easter dinner (so is this chicken, ham and broccoli casserole). Unlike so many other broccoli cheddar soup recipes with chunky bits of broccoli that can be somewhat annoying, this soup is puréed to a silky smooth consistency that almost tricks you into thinking you’re slurping on something much more extravagant.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients & Instructions
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups vegetable stock (you can also use chicken stock for a richer flavor)
- 1 1 / 2 pounds broccoli, tough stems removed, florets and stems coarsely chopped
- 1 1/ 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a mixture of sharp cheddar and whiskey cheddar)
- Salt and ground pepper
How to cook Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- In a dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until very tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk in the flour and sauté for 1 minute. Add the broth, broccoli, thyme, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the broccoli is tender about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pureé the soup in a food processor in batches, or with an immersion blender. Return the pot to the stove and simmer over low, stirring in the milk. Add half of the cheese and continue stirring until completely melted, scraping the bottom of the pot to break-up any cheese that has sunk to the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup between bowls, serving with the remaining cheese.
Sat. Fat (grams)16.05