Affiliate Disclosure: Occasionally we may provide links to products that are affiliate links to products and providers that we personally use and recommend. If you choose to click on a link and purchase a product, we wanted to let you know that we’ll get a commission from the sale. Thanks for supporting this blog! :)
This isn’t your average toast. Or avocado toast. Sautéed tomato, garlic and onions are piled on top of crunchy, pan toasted bread.
Tomato Onion Avocado Toast
Is anyone else still obsessed with avocado toast? Clearly I am. I can eat it any time of the day, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it doesn’t matter. I am all in. The thing is, whenever I eat today’s recipe, I don’t think of it as an avocado toast recipe. I see it as a tomato toast recipe that also happens to have avocado.
In my house, there’s always a big debate on the proper way to toast bread. Do you use the toaster? A fry pan? Mayonnaise or butter? This all came about because I decided one day to serve my avocado toast on bread that I had toasted on the stove in olive oil. My life pretty much changed that day, and since then, I’ve been trying to convert my husband. It’s like a toast cult. While I don’t prepare my plain toast the same way, I definitely prepare it this way 9/10 times when there’s going to be a topping put on it. There’s a more even crunch throughout the slice, and it doesn’t get soggy as quickly as it does with butter or mayo.
The past couple of weeks, whenever I was hungry but uninspired to make an actual meal, I typically made this tomato onion avocado toast for a light but satisfying meal. I prefer to enjoy this tomato-onion avocado toast on slices of baguette from a local bakery, but if you’re looking for something a little more substantial it’s also quite good on toasted quinoa bread alongside a poached egg just for a more complete plate.
Since we all know I am semi-addicted to spice, the tomato mixture is seasoned with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes for good measure. If you don’t want to enjoy spicy tomato toast, omit the red pepper flakes and season the mixture with salt and pepper, alongside some additional parsley or thyme.
Tomato Onion Avocado Toast
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- 4 slices thick cut bread, or 8 slices slim baguette, toasted
How to cook Tomato Onion Avocado Toast
- Over medium heat in a 12” skillet or fry pan, melt the butter. Once melted, add the onion and garlic, stirring with a wooden spoon until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and gently stir, and cook until just tender. Stir in the parsley and remove from heat.
- Spread the mashed avocado across the toast, then divide the tomato mixture amongst the slices of bread. Season with additional salt and red pepper flakes if desired and serve immediately.
Sat. Fat (grams)7.34