An easy, rich sea salted caramel pumpkin sauce that’s delicious drizzled over ice cream or used as a flavor enhancer in a variety of desserts.
Sea Salt Caramel Pumpkin Sauce
When I shared my pumpkin chocolate chunk bread, I warned you that there were going to be a handful of pumpkin recipes already in the pipeline ready to go. I get it, pumpkin flavored anything in July seems crazy, but hey, there are people who are also celebrating Christmas in July so you tell me who is crazy now. (It’s just a joke; I fell asleep watching a cheesy Christmas movie on Hallmark last night.)
This sea salted caramel pumpkin sauce was inspired greatly by the caramel pumpkin butter you can buy in the fall from Williams-Sonoma which I almost seem to be buying in bulk every year. Since I was going off of memory, the two recipes have their differences: mine is much smoother, less gritty, while theirs is obviously a butter and has a thicker, less pourable consistency. Theirs has some citrus flavors buried within the recipe, while I have swapped that out for the unexpected bite of ground coriander.
The caramel base is made with a single can of sweetened condensed milk that is baked in the oven. Baked in a water bath, it’s transformed over two hours into a delicious caramel that can be used in just about everything. Midway through the making process, I like to remove the baking dish from the oven, stir in a couple of punches of sea salt and let it finish cooking.
Once it’s a beautiful golden color, I remove it from the oven, let it cool slightly before I combine it with pumpkin purée and spices. It’s really not difficult at all. Plus, any leftover sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up two weeks when stored in a mason jar with the lid on right.
Salted Caramel Pumpkin Sauce
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
How to cook Salted Caramel Pumpkin Sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 350º and prepare a 9x11 baking dish by filling it 1/4 way with water.
- 2. In a small 8x8 Pyrex or pie dish, add the sweetened condensed milk, sprinkle with the flaky sea salt. Lightly whisk. Cover tightly with foil. Place the smaller baking dish inside of the larger baking dish, and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, check the water level and add more if the water doesn’t reach half-way up the side of the smaller dish. Continue baking for another 45 minutes.
- 3. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a food processor, along with the pumpkin purée and spices and purée until smooth. Add more sea salt as desired.
Sat. Fat (grams)14.78