And now, for the simplest recipe we'll most likely ever share. There's zero cooking involved and you'll have a delicious sweet treat on your hands without breaking a sweat... unless you're in the middle of a heat wave.
Being the only genuine wine drinker in a household is sometimes there’s left over wine that you don’t want to go to waste. Sure, you can use most wines to braise meat or make a flavorful risotto, but typically those kinds of recipes call for more than a cup of wine. All you need to have is less than a half bottle of merlot (or zinfandel) and a couple other pantry items lying around for this ridiculously easy dessert. You can either enjoy this as-is, or over a slice of angel food or pound cake.
- 2 cups merlot or zinfandel
- 12 ounces strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Clean and slice your strawberries and place into bowl, sprinkle sugar over and stir, ensuring they’re all evenly coated. I like to smash a few of them to get more flavors. Add the wine and vanilla bean, stir to combine and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. The longer it sits, the better.
- Spoon into individual bowls or onto slices of angel food or pound cake and enjoy. Drink leftover juice and enjoy.