Here in the Northern Hemisphere, we are deep in the clutches of winter. Yes, even in California, relatively speaking. Unless you are into cold-weather sports, a la snow skiing, ice skating or other activities that require you to wear warm winter clothing, the very best thing about winter is cuddling up in your nice comfy bed, binge watching Netflix or eagerly awaiting new releases on HBO. We’re all hot on “Mad Max: Fury Road” lately.
Of course required eating for movie night (or afternoon!) is popcorn. Naturally, here at insolence + wine, we don’t do your everyday generic microwave popcorn, nor do we wash anything down with sugary pop drinks. We prefer a nice sparkling wine and our own homemade caramel corn with peanuts. Don’t get all upset: all it takes is a couple of hours and you have your very own delicious snack. The upside is you will be able to pronounce the name of everything in your homemade treat.
For this post, we were invited by Casper Mattress to participate in National Popcorn Day. Casper is all about movie nights in bed. So what better than a movie night in bed with snacks?! Comfy beds are their passion but today, popcorn is their passion... Enjoy!
Caramel Corn with Spanish Peanuts
- 8 cups fresh-popped popcorn (we used Jolly Time Organic)
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Spanish peanuts
- Preheat over to 200 degrees F.
- Place butter, brown sugar, salt and light corn syrup and heat to boiling, stirring frequently.
- While your caramel is cooking, pop the popcorn in a very large saucepan with a lid. Follow directions on the bag. (We used 5 tablespoons canola oil and 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons unpeopled popcorn.) Be sure to shake the popping corn so it does not scorch. Open the lid frequently to vent, and as soon as popping slows, remove from heat. Place hot popcorn in a large roasting pan and cover.
- Once the caramel boils, add the vanilla and baking soda. stir well.
- Pour the caramel over the warm popcorn. Combine well. Add as many Spanish peanuts as you’d like. We used just under 2 cups.
- Place in oven. Stir every 15 minutes times 4 (heat for one hour).
- Place heated caramel corn on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Let stand to dry at least an hour. Place in a bowl and serve, or put in a pair of gallon bags, sealed, until ready to serve.