Growing up, these bar cookies were amongst my husband’s favorites. They’re soft and chewy, little on the wheat-y side, perfect as an addition to any cookie display.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 10-ounce jar apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine until smooth. Add yolk and mix well. Slowly add flour, once combined, add walnuts.
- Divide dough in half, spread half the dough into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover with apricot jam. Drop remaining dough by the spoonfuls over jam, spreading carefully to the edges with a knife. Bake until top is golden, about 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely prior to cutting into squares.